This fabulous DIY wallpaper treatment came from a high-end Italian furniture catalog of all places. A $6,000 plus Italian-crafted bed set against a wallpaper of newspaper that costs–if recycled, almost nothing.
How to Fab Your Walls
It’s all about experimenting with what you’ve got. Look around your space, or a friend’s. You can use almost anything:
- Pages from an old book: I couldn’t sell back my outdated Norton Anthologies, so I’m prepping those wafer thin pages to cover a column in 17th century poetry. There’s like, 2000 pages in all.
- Postcards from the edge: If you’re someone whose friends and family travel to ooh-la-la places and send good pics, use them.
- Greeting cards: Sort them by dominant color, (cut them up if you’re not sentimental) and create your own David Hockney-esque masterpiece
- CDs/DVDs: You don’t really need that outdated Windows Install CD do you? Declutter as you design by taking those cast-off CDs from home and the office and paint them to create a geometric border or wall treatment. It will look like, totally groovy.
- Sheet music: So lyrical and artsy
- Office swag: If you’re the type to bring work home, why not do something cathartic with those oh-so-colorful TPS reports? Or try the Business Card Art Wall idea we posted earlier.
How to Make it Removable
If you’re a renter or a design chameleon it’s easy to make this treatment lease-friendly by using double-sided tape. Elmer’s Glue mixed with water is earth-friendly to boot because it’s non-toxic, removable with sponge and water and biodegradable.
Show Off Your Inner Warhol
Weekend warriors: e-mail us your photos of your fabulous wall makeover. If we like it, we’ll make you famous. Or at least give you kudos!
Filed under: Budget Decor, DIY Decor, Interior Design, Refashion+Refurb, Small Space Style, Wallcoverings |
Tags: creative wallpaper ideas, newspaper wallpaper